Cactus Needles Knitting Guild Meeting – August 1, 2011
Judie Agee Velvet Dishon Francine Ebersman
Fran Frazin Larry Frazin Lesley Fry
Sue Garber Dawn Goetz Georgia Green
Barb Hahn Joanna Irvine Harriet Lawrence
Debra LaRoche Cathrine McClure Jo-Ann Mullen
Liz Rees Lisa Spaich Martie Warden
The meeting was called to order at 6:30pm by Barb Hahn.
Martie welcomed a new member, Debra LaRoche. We currently have 50 members. She is working on new member packets. There are four August birthdays: Cindy Adams, Jane Berezin, Nicole Dube and Lesley Fry.
Georgia made a motion, seconded by Liz to approve the minutes as posted on the guild website.
Altruistic –Cathrine McClure: Group projects continue to be:
(1) Special Olympics scarves, which are being collected all year and are due by the January 2012 meeting. You will find patterns for these scarves on the Red Heart website.
(2) Project Linus – The person who took over the chapter is leaving. There will be two more blanket bees in Fountain Hills, and then the chapter will be closing.
(3) Navaho Children -- We are always collecting sweaters, hats, scarves & mittens for the Navaho children. They need to be given to Cathrine by the end of October.
Any questions or suggestions, please email Cathrine.
Treasurer’s Report – Lisa Spaich: Lisa reported that the current balance in our account is $3,174.59. She has sent emails to people from whom she is looking for budgets. The new budget will be approved in August.
Host your own knitting event -- There are three upcoming knitting events:
(1) August 13 – hosted by Judie Agee. 11:30am at Mary Coyle’s Ice Cream Parlor, 5521 N 7th Ave. west of Central between Camelback and Bethany Home.
(2) September 10 – hosted by Barbara Avrin and Carolina Martinez at Barbara’s home in Gold Canyon. A light lunch will be served.
(3) September 24 – hosted by Lisa Spaich, Tempe Yarn & Fiber, 10:00am to 1:00pm, light lunch, snacks and drinks.
Commemorative Blanket – Jo-Ann Mullen updated us on the commemorative blanket. Our proposal was accepted by the Centennial Commission and we will be reimbursed for our expenses up to $9,250. Liz Rees is working on putting the blanket together. We are planning to photograph the completed blanket, make posters and prepare a discussion guide to leave with people we visit. The blanket is made up of different icons that describe Arizona. The discussion will include what makes Arizona what it is today. We will purchase a traveling frame and a permanent frame for the blanket. We are budgeted to travel throughout the State. We plan to call senior centers and libraries to see if they want us to visit. Traveling will be done after the New Year. The official start of the Centennial is February and will continue into the summer. We would like to get media coverage. If you have any ideas, email Jo-Ann or Cathrine.
We are looking for members who would like to work on the discussion guide and/or travel with the blanket. Please email Jo-Ann or Cathrine if you’re interested in helping.
Mentoring – Harriet suggested that we have a mentoring program that we offer to new members. Some people are hesitant to join because they don’t think they can knit well enough. We could incorporate it into the questionnaire we are preparing to post on the website for new members.
Knit in Public – Judie Agee talked about the knit-in-public blanket she took with her to the Project Linus conference where she ran the knit and crochet booth. The blanket was a huge success. Cathrine talked about a knit-in-public day in New York where there were 35 people knitting around one blanket. We discussed having a CNKG knit-in-public day, maybe January or February. The national knit-in-public date is in June.
There was no new business.
Program -- Sock Summit
Dawn talked about the sock summit in Portland, OR from which she just returned. She told us about the classes she took, the great teachers and knitters who were there, and all the wonderful yarn and accessories that were sold. There will be another sock summit in 2013.
Cathrine has agreed to do a program on crocheting at the September meeting.
Show and Share followed the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00pm.
Harriet Lawrence, Secretary